“Murder Suspect in Ashaiman Case Tells Judge: ‘I Need More Food'”

On Tuesday, April 11, 2023, the Ashaiman Circuit Court, presided over by Judge Simon J. Gaga, heard the case of Samuel Tetteh, also known as Wiper, and five others who are accused of involvement in the murder of Trooper Imoro Sherrif, a junior soldier in the Ghana Armed Forces. Tetteh raised concerns about being underfed in police custody before the judge ruled on their bail application.

The defence lawyers argued for their clients’ release, but only Ibrahim Abdul Rakib was granted bail in the sum of GH₵150,000 on health grounds. The remaining suspects were denied bail.

Tetteh and Abubakar Saddick, also known as Birdman, are the main suspects in the case, charged with conspiracy to commit attempted robbery and robbery. The other four suspects, Safianu Musah, Ibrahim Abdul Rakib, Yussif Mohammed, and Abdul Gafaru Abdul Karim, are charged with receiving stolen items.

After ruling on the bail application, the court directed the police to ensure that the suspects were well taken care of in custody, with adequate food and health care to ensure they were fit to stand trial


On March 4, the police received a report about a dead male adult found at Ashiaman Taifa. After dispatching a team to the crime scene, the police recovered a backpack containing an iPad, Ghana Card, National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) Card, a blood-stained knife, and military uniform belonging to Private Sherrif, a soldier with the Third Battalion in Sunyani who had been killed.

Investigations conducted by the police revealed that the deceased soldier had gone to visit his female friend in Ashiaman Newtown around 2230 hours on March 3 and left for his home at around 0130 hours on March 4. However, while passing through Ashiaman Taifa, Tetteh and Sadick attacked him with the intention of stealing his mobile phone. During the attack, Tetteh stabbed the soldier with a knife, leading to his death.

Further investigations showed that Tetteh and Sadick succeeded in stealing the deceased soldier’s mobile phone, which they sold to Ibrahim Abdul Rakib for GHC300. Rakib then sold the phone to Safianu Musah for GHC350, who subsequently sold it to Yusif Mohammed for GHC500, and later to Abdul Gafaru Karim

Leave feedback about this

  • Quality
Choose Image
Choose Video